On April 29, 1951, the First Baptist Church of Destin was dedicated after being built
as a mission from First Baptist of Fort Walton Beach. First pastor Myron Johnson
conducted services in an old school house on Calhoun Street until a permanent
construction became complete in the spring of 1952. Ten years later, the
educational building was built .
In September of 1954, the mission officially became a church under pastor Henry Jarvis.
In 1975, five acres of land on Beach Drive was purchased. In 1980, Rev. Charles
Padgett came to First Baptist and led the way toward a new building program called
Building On First Love. On December 7, 1986, members stood in a circle of prayer
around the land as the fallow ground was turned for construction. August 30, 1987,
a dedication ceremony was held for the new facility.
Under the ministry of Bro. Charles Padgett, a Preschool was started in the old
location on Calhoun. In the churches new location on Beach Drive, through the
years, God blessed the church with an increased parking lot, youth building, and a
new educational and fellowship hall building in 1994.
Also a Kindergarten through 6th grade school was established. Rocky Bayou Christian School now has a Destin
campus on the grounds at Destin First Baptist church. In the new building addition, the Lord blessed the church with a choir room. First Baptist also has a wonderful Child Development Center where children are taught God’s word along with the Preschool Abeka program.